[dm-devel] [Patch 1 of 2]: scsi-dh + dm-mpath: propagate SCSI device deletion to multipath

Menny_Hamburger at Dell.com Menny_Hamburger at Dell.com
Wed Dec 15 08:28:55 UTC 2010

The problem:
When a SCSI device attached to a device handler is deleted, userland processes currently performing I/O on the device will I/O hang forever.

The root cause:
When scsi_dh_activate returns SCSI_DH_NOSYS the activate_complete callback is not called and the error is not propagated to the
multipath layer. A similar situation occurs when the handler is in the process of being deleted (e.g. the SCSI device is in a SDEV_CANCEL or SDEV_DEL state).

Attached is the SCSI H/W handler part of this patch.

Menny Hamburger
Engineer
Dell | IDC
office +972 97698789,  fax +972 97698889
Dell IDC. 4 Hacharoshet St, Raanana 43657, Israel