Re: [dm-devel] [BUG] multipath-tools: uuid has become meaningless

> My thoughts on fixing this:
> 1. Technically nothing wrong. Live with it and make sure that device
>      mapper's uuid are meaningless for user and fix 'multipath -l' to
>      not print uuid's.

I don't like this one : the uuid is the communication medium with storage teams in big IT departement.

> 2. Don't support user_friendly_names in initrd. Could be just documented
>      or an option to multipath is added to ignore that feature and that
>      option is used in initrd calls!

I let distributors comment on this one, but I guess it will replace a confusion (a naming file in initrd the sysadmin have to keep in sync) by another (root kparm not consistent with what you see on a booted system). I personnaly agree that user_friendly_names disabled in initrd would be a safer confuser.

> 3. We could rename the devices instead of reload -- really fixing this!

This one seems safe.

Regards,
cvaroqui