Re: [dm-devel] 2 TB wraparound on 32 bit host

On 06/12/2010 12:09 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
Actually, looking at the above, this is conflicting information.  On 64
bit systems (like amd64) there's no need to set CONFIG_LBDAF because
sector_t is an unsigned long, which is 64 bits.  It's only on 32 bit
configurations it gets set.  Initially you said you were using a PAE
i686 configuration, which would need this setting.  An amd64 one
wouldn't.

Which kernel are you actually seeing the problem on, and what is
CONFIG_LBDAF set to on that kernel?

I am seeing the wraparound on two systems, one running the vanilla i386 Ubuntu Karmic kernel, and one running amd64 Lucid. I checked the config file on the amd64 system I am on now and the symbol CONFIG_LBDAF is not there. I just checked the i386 config and it is set there. It seems then, that this is not the cause of the problem after all.