[dm-devel] 2 TB wraparound on 32 bit host

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jun 12 17:58:46 UTC 2010

On 06/12/2010 12:09 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
> Actually, looking at the above, this is conflicting information.  On 64
> bit systems (like amd64) there's no need to set CONFIG_LBDAF because
> sector_t is an unsigned long, which is 64 bits.  It's only on 32 bit
> configurations it gets set.  Initially you said you were using a PAE
> i686 configuration, which would need this setting.  An amd64 one
> wouldn't.
>
> Which kernel are you actually seeing the problem on, and what is
> CONFIG_LBDAF set to on that kernel?

I am seeing the wraparound on two systems, one running the vanilla i386
Ubuntu Karmic kernel, and one running amd64 Lucid.  I checked the config
file on the amd64 system I am on now and the symbol CONFIG_LBDAF is not
there.  I just checked the i386 config and it is set there.  It seems
then, that this is not the cause of the problem after all.