[dm-devel] edits for r16 of shared snapshot patches [was: Re: userspace patches for shared snapshots]

Mikulas Patocka mpatocka at redhat.com
Tue Mar 9 08:41:54 UTC 2010

> You can see the edits here:
> http://people.redhat.com/msnitzer/patches/multisnap/kernel/2.6.33/r16a/r16_edits.patch
>
> Boils down to:
> * use __func__ rather than hardcoding the function name
>   - this fixed ~3 inconsistencies (incorrect function names) and should
>     help if/when we do any function renaming in later phases of review

It consumes one more stack word for every function where this conversion
was performed ... I don't know if it's worth it ... likely it doesn't
matter.

The problem here is that GCC is preallocating the space for all outgoing
arguments in the function prologue, so if the function has something like
this
if (bug_happened) {
	printk("%s: bug happened: %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %d", __func__, a,
b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i);
}
the whole function always wastes 10 stack words, even if the bug doesn't
happen :(

But that one word because of __func__ maybe doesn't matter (there are much
more wasted already in these printks). Or do you think that it's better to
not do this __func__ conversion?

Mikulas