[dm-devel] Combined storage tree

James Bottomley James.Bottomley at suse.de
Mon Sep 13 16:46:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 12:58 +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:55:16AM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:

> > > Hmmm. I was kind of hoping for an upstream maintainer tree, kind of
> > > like the netdev tree.  I really don't see a tree like this getting
> > > wide use - if I enjoyed the pain of rebasing against throw-away
> > > merge trees every day, then I'd already be using linux-next....
> >
> > Well, to be honest, that's what people wanted when the issue was raised
> > at LSF10.  However, unlike net, storage has never had a single
> > maintainer, so it's a bit more political than just doing that by fiat,
>
> Bah. Technical arguments win here, not politics.

Heh, who runs a tree is both politics and technical.

> Besides, what
> possible political concern can anyone have about using a different
> upstream tree for development? A storage maintainer tree would not
> replace anyone's little fiefdom; what we need is an integration point
> long before stuff gets to Linus....

For a storage git tree to be usable as a stable base, it has to be the
upstream tree.  That would mean that, like net, the way upstream would
be via this tree.  That's quite a shift in the way we currently work.

> > plus not all of the current maintainers with storage trees were there.
>
> If that's the barrier to discussion, then where else but a dedicated
> storage workshop are you going to get a more representative sample
> of storage developers in the same room?

This sort of thing doesn't get decided by fiat.  If you can't get all of
the relevant parties to agree, you have to demonstrate the need.  So
doing a rollup tree to test how much of the problem is solvable that way
seems like a reasonable first step.

James