[dm-devel] RAID status, CSMI, and dmRAID

Hello,

I’ve recently been researching the issue of obtaining RAID status on Linux (using a library or API, not through scripts). I’ve read that CSMI codes can be issued (using ioctl() calls) to get RAID status, and from my understanding (please correct me if I’m wrong), dmraid doesn’t use CSMI at all, and the status is obtained using the metadata on the member drives. Does this mean that using CSMI and ioctl is not possible on Linux, or does this mean that using CSMI and ioctl is a bad idea on Linux?

Thanks for the clarification,

Sandra