[dm-devel] Possible severe bug in the device mapper?

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Tue Feb 1 09:30:07 UTC 2011

Am 31.01.2011 12:20, schrieb Joe Thornber:
> On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 10:30 +0100, Andreas Heinlein wrote:
>> 2. Create a loopback device with this file (losetup -f
>> /media/somedrive/testfile)
> I'm just trying to understand your complaint here.  If device-mapper
> wasn't in the equation here, and you were using the loop-back device
> directly (i.e. by putting a filesystem on it and mounting).  Then you
> pulled the removable device, what happens?
>
> - Joe
>
> --
Thank you for your advice. Actually, it still happens without
device-mapper, so I'm at the wrong place here. Sorry for that. I did
some more tests with different distros and releases (Ubuntu 10.10 and
11.04alpha1, OpenSuse 11.3, Fedora 14), and almost all showed this
behaviour; only OpenSuse immediatley set the device to read-only on the
first write attempt, Ubuntu 11.04alpha1 crashed, but this may be because
of the alpha status. Still not quite what one would expect, though.

I will continue looking for help, can you point me in some direction?
'losetup' is part of util-linux, but I doubt this has actually anything
to do withit. The loopback device code itself is part of the kernel, right?

Thanks,
Andreas