[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: [dm-devel] [PATCH v3] dm stripe: implement merge method



On 03/08/2011 05:48 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
On Tue, Mar 08 2011 at  5:29am -0500,
Mustafa Mesanovic<mume linux vnet ibm com>  wrote:

On 03/08/2011 03:21 AM, Mike Snitzer wrote:

Here is a revised version of your patch that uses the relatively new
stripe_map_sector(), removes an unnecessary cast, and a few other
cleanups.

This v3 should work as well as your v2 but should be suitable for
upstream inclusion -- authorship of the change is still attributed to
you as I only updated the code slightly.  I'd appreciate it if you could
verify your config still performs as expected.
Mike,

your changes are working well and performing even a bit better.
Good to know.

Are there any further comments from others, or can consider putting it
upstream.
I chatted with Alasdair and one concern he had was: does the existence
of stripe_merge() ever hurt due to the fact that stripe_map_sector() is
performed twice (once for .merge and again for .map)?  May be that a
really small chuck_size proves to be more problematic but using a small
chunk_size generally isn't productive to begin with.

In any case, it clearly helps your workload.

Could you explain your config in more detail?
- what is your chunk_size?
- how many stripes (how many mpath devices)?
- what is the performance, of your test workload, of a single underlying
   mpath device?

And, in particular, what is your test workload?
- What is the nature of your IO (are you using a particular tool)?
- Are you using AIO?
- How many threads?
- Are you driving deep queue depths? Etc.

I have various configs that I'll be testing to help verify the benefit.
The only other change Alasdair request is that the target version should
be bumped to 1.4 (rather than 1.3.2).

Given that I can put some time to this now: we should be able to sort
all this out for upstream inclusion in 2.6.39.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

the setup that I have used to verify and check upon the changes
consisted of:

- Benchmark
iozone (seq write, seq read, random read and write),
filesize 2000m, with 32 processes (no AIO used).

- Disk-Setup
2 disks (queue_depth=192) ->  each disk with 8 paths
->  multipathed (multibus, rr_min_io=1)

And a striped LVM out of these two (chunk_size=64KiB).

The benchmark then runs on this LV.

In detail: I was previosly working on a 2.6.32.x-stable kernel, thats
where I created the stripe_merge function for. There I have seen
improvements up to 3x ->  ~600MiB ->  ~1800MiB

With the git-kernel only 1.25x better when applying the patch, but its still
significantly better!

  ~990MiB ->  ~1300MiB

A single mpath device has ~1300MiB throughput.

Regards,
Mustafa


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]