[dm-devel] the mirror log is NOT kept on disk

Eli Malul eli.malul at kaminario.com
Sun Mar 20 16:19:02 UTC 2011

Hi,

I tried a small test where I suspended and resumed a mirrored device
without IO going on.

My expectation was that the mirror set will not get re-synced but
unfortunately it did.

According the documentation the mirror log is kept on disk when creating
a mirror logical device with 'disk' log type as an input parameter.

I looked at the code and I didn't see where the sync_bits are being
written to the disk or read from the disk but only the number of regions
is being saved.

How should a mirror device survive reboots/crashes without syncing the
entire mirror set?

BTW - another problem is that after reboot the created logical device
disappears, is there an easy way to keep it persistent or should I
create at each boot?