Re: [dm-devel] HPA unlock during partition scan of RAID components

On 11/4/2011 10:48 AM, Tejun Heo wrote:
I frankly don't care about BIOSen locking up afterwards and I don't
think they are more common than the issues from not unlocking (e.g.
moving harddrive to another machine, hot-plugging - partition -
reboot).  There will be a kernel param to disable unlocking behavior

Could you clarify what issues you refer to? Moving a drive to another machine?

and that would be it.  On top of that if bios is that screwed it's
probably a good idea to not use bios raid which is a silly thing to
begin with.  Currently the problem is that the kernel doesn't unlock
by default and the heuristics can't be turned off, so we have unhappy
customers on both sides.  Anyways, if md/dm people are on board, I'm
gonna push for that but otherwise there isn't much point.

It isn't only a problem for bios raid, it also affects mdadm raid. Being able to defeat the heuristic would help, but I still don't see why the heuristic should be implemented in the kernel instead of user space?