[dm-devel] multipath_busy() stalls IO due to scsi_host_is_busy()

David Dillow dillowda at ornl.gov
Wed May 16 17:03:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 11:54 -0400, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> 2) Low SRP command queues. Is there a reason why
> SRP_RQ_SHIFT/SRP_RQ_SIZE and their depend values such as SRP_RQ_SIZE are
> so small?

That's a decision that has been around since the beginning of the driver
as far as I can tell. It looks to be a balance between device needs and
memory usage, and it can certainly be raised -- I've run locally with
SRP_RQ_SHIFT set to 7 (shost.can_queue 126) and I'm sure 8 would be no
problem, either. I didn't see a performance improvement on my workload,
but may you will.

Because we take the minimum of our initiator queue depth and the initial
credits from the target (each req consumes a credit), going higher than
8 doesn't buy us much, as I don't know off-hand of any target that gives
out more than 256 credits.

The memory used for the command ring will vary depending on the value of
SRP_RQ_SHIFT and the number of s/g entries allows to be put in the
command. 255 s/g entries requires an 8 KB allocation for each request
(~4200 bytes), so we currently require 512 KB of buffers for the send
queue for each target. Going to 8 will require 2 MB max per target,
which probably isn't a real issue.

There's also a response ring with an allocation size that depends on the
target, but those should be pretty small buffers, say 1 KB * (1 <<
SRP_RQ_SHIFT).

--
Dave Dillow
National Center for Computational Science