[dm-devel] raid5 + dm-crypt WRITE perf., higher rrqm/s - kernel 3.10.16

Redwood Hyd redwoodhyd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 13:13:25 UTC 2013

Hi All,
I am trying to match the WRITE throughput for  512K chunk size to
WRITE throughput I am getting with 32K chunk size. I am using dm-crypt module.

My setup is :  iozone (4k rec) -> ext4 -> dm-crypt dev mapper + raid5 (4 disks).

In my past experience 512K  chunk size was not very off from 32K chunk
size on kernel 2.6.32 for above situation.

>From iostats it seems  that 512K  is slow because of  higher rrqm/s on
the physical disks behind raid5 device (last 4 columns are from iostat
-x on physical disks behind raid5)

Chunk-size  iozon MB/s   Avgrq-sz   r/s      rMB/s    rrqm/s
512K          25 MBps         976       ~60     ~7.00   ~1800
32K            39 MBps         63         ~20      ~0.55   ~100

Question: Is it that partial stripe  happening and causing more reads here ?

Question:  Can someone suggest some code hacks or config changes such
that even with 512K iozone writes to ext4/dm-crypt/raid5 device is
close to 39 MBps?
Or otherwise more pointers into code to understand and conclude will be helpful

Question: Are the changes in dm-crypt or block layer (since 2.6.32)
causing  higher  r/s rMB/s rrqm/s etc. ?  How to tune it now?

Question:MY hardware-crypto-offload modules receives nbytes=512bytes
in aes_crypt_cbc (could not find ways to bump these nbytes more than
512). Are their ways to bump this number ?

To compare here are same numbers (lower rrqm/s) if I remove dm-crypt :

Chunk-size  iozon MB/s  Avgrq-sz      r/s        rMB/s      rrqm/s
512K           81 MBps          976        ~12     ~0.41        ~100
32K             89 MBps          63          ~01     ~0.04         ~4

Quesiton: Why  dm-crypt causing higher r/s rMB/s rrqm/s ( higher these
lower write MB/s) ?

regards
rh