[dm-devel] [PATCG]DM: dm-compression: a compressed DM target for SSD

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Sat Dec 28 13:22:48 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 12:57:25PM +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> To use this compression target above dm-thin (likely to prefer larger
> block sizes), for example, could the block sizes be adapatable /
> configurable?

So a key feature of the underlying thin provisioning needs to be
efficient tracking of a small sector size (which doesn't suit the
existing dm-thin target).  This compression target could sometimes
benefit from a larger block size though, particularly where the
data above has large blocks.

(Could we name this something like 'microcompression'?)

Alasdair