[dm-devel] lvm2 hangs when creating snapshot of live root and IO to the root filesystem is happening

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 09:28:02 UTC 2013

Dne 9.1.2013 21:20, Peter & Kelly Passchier napsal(a):
> 1. One-line summary
> lvm2 hangs when creating snapshot of live root and IO to the root filesystem
> is happening
>

> 2. Full description
> Root filesystem ext4 on lvm2 extent in luks-encrypted
> partition with mainline kernel 3.8-rc2.
> This is causing a hang:
> lvcreate -s -n oscopy -v -l 100%FREE /dev/secret/root 2>/root/savefile
>
> See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1096520

Attach full -vvvv trace.

Hmm bugreport talks about  2.6.35 kernel.

My first suspect would be the 'Debian way' of handling udev rules - handling
differes from the upstream solution and must be tracked and fixed on Debian.

> 6. Script to replicate the problem
> lvcreate -s -n oscopy -v -l 100%FREE /dev/secret/root 2>/root/savefile

'-vvvv'

Attach also 'changes' to udev rules from the upstream solution.

Probably  udevadm  monitoring output would be also useful.

Any cookies left unfinished  'dmsetup udevcookies' ?

Zdenek