[dm-devel] Performance Comparison among EnhanceIO, bcache and dm-cache.

Michael Fortson mfortson at permabit.com
Tue Jun 18 16:25:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 6:29 AM, Joe Thornber <thornber at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 03:05:07PM +0000, OS Engineering wrote:

> > Dm-cache commits on-disk metadata every time a REQ_SYNC or REQ_FUA
> > bio is written. If no such requests are made then it commits
> > metadata once every second. If power is lost, it may lose some
> > recent writes.
>
> Not true (though it is true for thinp, which may be where you got this
> idea?).  For caching we have to commit whenever data is moved about,
> otherwise a crash could result in us reading data that is not just out
> of date (acceptable for some), but used to belong to a totally
> different part of the device (always unacceptable).
>
> - Joe

Hi Joe,

In Documentation/device-mapper/cache.txt, is this text out of date?

     On-disk metadata is committed every time a REQ_SYNC or REQ_FUA
     bio is written.  If no such requests are made then commits will
     occur every second.  This means the cache behaves like a physical
     disk that has a write cache (the same is true of the
     thin-provisioning target).  If power is lost you may lose some
     recent writes.  The metadata should always be consistent in spite
     of any crash.

You say that this is the case for thinp, however.  Does that mean that it's
not possible to get stable writes with dm-thin without using cache-control
commands?  I don't see any documentation to this effect.  If so, are there
any plans to change this behavior (or make it configurable)?

Thanks,
-Michael