Voting: repotag for EPEL

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Apr 5 09:04:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 10:19:29AM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> I don't care what they decide, but in this case I think it's [FPC's]
> business [...]
>
> People [of the EPEL committee] that vote should know what they vote
> about to make the decision, and that's not the case here afaics.

You need to decide, do you make it FPC's call or not? You can't have
it both ways, e.g. put the FPC through making a decision and then
turning it down.

And the FPC is not a political organ, EPEL is (in this context). Don't
pass on the Old Maid to the FPC. The decision on whether or not to
introduce repotags is ours, and that's all what the voting proposal is
about. Consider the EPEL/FPC relation here like management and
engineering. The manager decides, the engineer turns the decision into
bits.

If you like to decide on implementation details within EPEL the FPC
will be grateful to only get a ready EPEL-releated guideline to vote
on. Otherwise you can rightfully pass it on to the FPC and they/we
will form adequate mechanisms like they do for all issues they get
thrown at. Which if the FPC foobars can still be stopped at fesco
level, every EPEL/FPC decision ultimatively goes through fesco, in
this case it will even have to go twice.

So, as you see everything has its proper procedures and
mechanisms. But it is *you* (as a member of EPEL) that will make a
political decision on using repotags or not and what signal of
cooperation this will beam onto other 3rd party repos.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net