xmlrpc-c for EPEL

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Mon Apr 23 15:28:23 UTC 2007

Enrico Scholz wrote:
> Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> writes:
>
>>   I'm trying to get cmake into EPEL but it requires xmlrpc-c.  Would
>> you be able to maintain it for EPEL, or would you like me (or someone
>> else) to maintain it?
>
> I did not looked into EPEL yet and do not know its requirements and
> processes.

You can check out the EPEL pages in the wiki for more info.  The main
differences are layed out here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies

Mainly that you don't upgrade packages in a release without good reason
(security fixes) and you don't break compatibility.  Otherwise you cat
request EPEL branches (EL-4, EL-5) in the normal way or you can ask
Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> to do all of your packages wholesale if
you want.

> Nevertheless, there will be a chicken-egg problem: xmlrpc-c buildrequires
> cmake and cmake buildrequires xmlrpc-c.

I'm CCing the epel list for how to get around this.

Some notes:

- cmake can be built with its own copy of xmlrpc-c.  Could do this to
get it in then shift to system version.

- Perhaps we could could grab older versions of the two packages from a
compatible FE release and then rebuild?

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com