openmotif in RHEL versus lesstif in fedora

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 00:57:16 UTC 2007

On 8/10/07, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 01:48:52PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > On Friday 10 August 2007 12:20:41 pm Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > There is a discrepancy between Fedora and RHEL, which is that there is
> > > lesstif in fedora and openmotif in RHEL. Is it temporary or will it be
> > > done the same in RHEL 6?
> >
> > openmotif is not licensed with an acceptable license for Fedora.  what Red Hat
> > Does for RHEL is up to Red Hat to decide.  So to answer your question we will
> > know what the status is when RHEL6 lands.
>
> It would be nice to know before to be able to come up with something
> that helps packaging, if needed. If RHEL uses lesstif, then there is no
> need to do anything (in my opinion), if RHEL still uses openmotif, it
> may be nice to have virtual provides, so it would be interesting if Red
> Hat could communicate about that issue -- and better yet coordinate with
> people interested with motif in EPEL and Fedora (like me).

That would be best done on a list that has RHEL engineers and product
managers on. Not sure if any of them are on here. It is usually
something that I have seen done via customer interactiosn with
sales/etc. versus mail lists.

Also there isnt a discrepency in that Motif was in FC5, pre FC6 when
RHEL-5 branched from Fedora. OpenMotif was dropped before FC6 I think
when a license review was done about what met Fedora's license goals.

> And also (but it is quite unrelated) having openmotif used in RHEL
> may be a reason to bring back this issue in fedora.

I think the issue is dead in Fedora unless OpenMotif gets relicensed.
More than likely if motif is shipped in EL-6 (maybe 1.5 years from
now).. it would be done via what the paying customers have asked Red
Hat to use.