Re: To update or not to update...

Hi!

On 17.08.2007 20:49, Jon Ciesla wrote:
> [...]
>> Debian has solved this.
>>
>> This is why Debian has the multi-level system:

We IMHO have a multi-level-system as well if you look at the big
picture. It's similar, but not exactly the same

>> experimental -- I just updated this package, it may eat your brane

Fedora rawhide.

>> unstable -- I think this will work, it's been in experimental for __X__
>> unit time without problems

Fedora test releases .

>> testing -- I confidentially stand behind this package, it's been in
>> unstable for __Y__ unit time without problems
>> stable -- really really stable

here we are more different. we have

- stable Fedora releases (Core + Extras in the past), which gets update
that come from testing, but not supporterd for longer time-periods
- stable RHEL releases + stable EPEL releases; new RHEL releases (5.1,
...) get tested in Betas (RHEL 5.1 Beta is out now);  new EPEL packages
get tested in testing

> [...]
>> So, what we are currently doing is treating EPEL's "testing" as Debian
>> experimental and EPEL's "stable" as "stable".

Nope -- experimental is Fedora rawhide, Fedora release, where stuff that
hits EPEL should get tested and shipped first. EPEL-testing is a kind of
beta-phase before things that were tested in Fedora hit EPEL stable.

>> What I would propose is the following compromise:
>>
>> experimental --- all new updates go here
>> testing -- pushable if no defects in experimental for 2 weeks
>> stable -- pushed quarterly

I think it's to much overhead for a small gain. We have bigger problems
to solve first IMHO.

>> We can basically do most of this with bohdi now.

Which we can't use without koji, which needs to be modifies before we
can use it.

> [...]
> +1.  In the current world, how do we get a package out of testing?  I know
> I still have one with a broken dep, but once that's fixed. ..

It's written in the guidelines. New packages get into the repo with a
quarterly update -- just as RHEL does it in RHEL updates now and then. I
multiple times asked in the past to do it a bit more often (e.g. every
two months maybe), but that's still under discussion.

CU
knurd