Re: Complete RHEL package lists?

Ville Skyttä wrote:
On Monday 27 August 2007, Kyle Gonzales wrote:
On 8/27/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora leemhuis info> wrote:
Why can't we simply run a small script on one or two (RHEL5Desktop and
RHEL5Server) machines somewhere that just write the informations into
some files and uploads those somewhere?

That way we might not provide all the data people might be interested
it, but a package-list (which would be a good start) and some other
stuff afaics should be possible, which is better than nothing.
Do you need a listing for the layered products as well, or just the
base/extra/supplementary RHEL channels?

I think the EPEL project needs to decide, enumerate and document the exact channels, derived distributions etc it attempts to be compatible with first. The answer to the above question would then be those channels etc.

Personally I think documenting these processes is a lot of work with questional benefit. It seems to me more logical to be reactive to this. When something comes up that is a conflict, remove / fix it in epel. Trying to write and maintain a script that monitors two moving targets is bound to be buggy / hard to verify.

   -Mike