RFC: EPEL branching if Fedora maintainer does not react

rob myers rob.myers at gtri.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 4 13:52:54 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 17:29 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >From this weeks report:
>
>   * _blah_> "i've requested a few packages from fedora maintainers that
> have not gotten back to me... what is the next step in getting those
> packages into epel?"; knurd mailed the Fedora list about this;
>
> Find the mail attached. Is that fine for everyone? If yes I'd say we
> make this policy in this weeks meeting.

it looks good to me.  i massaged the wording a bit, below.

thanks for putting this together; it is needed.

rob.

If an EPEL maintainer wants to get a Fedora package into EPEL he should
first check the ContributorStatus document, located in the wiki at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/ContributorStatus .

If the Fedora maintainer of the package has indicated a desire not to
participate in EPEL then the EPEL maintainer can request the branch
directly via the standard procedures (e.g. via bugzilla currently).  The
EPEL maintainer should CC the Fedora maintainer on the branch request,
so the Fedora maintainer knows that the package is maintained in EPEL as
well.

If it's unclear if the Fedora maintainer of the package participates in
EPEL then the EPEL maintainer should mail the Fedora maintainer and ask
about their plans for EPEL in general and the package at hand.  If there
is no answer within seven days the EPEL maintainer is free to request
the EPEL branch (CC the Fedora maintainer here as well). If the Fedora
maintainer later wants to participate in EPEL, then the EPEL maintainer
of the package should hand primary per release maintainership back to
the Fedora maintainer (and become comaintainer, if interested).