EPEL report week 27, 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jul 8 13:01:26 UTC 2007

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/Reports/Week27

= Weekly EPEL Summary =

Week 27/2007

== Most important happenings ==

 * Policy for "Branching for EPEL if Fedora maintainer does not react"
was approved

 * target date for for official EPEL announcement: July 19; we need to
fix all broken deps beforehand (and make sure any new ones hit the repo)

== EPEL SIG Meeting ==

=== Attending ===

>From the Steering Committee:

 * dgilmore (DennisGilmore)
 * Jeff_S (Jeff Sheltren)
 * knurd (ThorstenLeemhuis)
 * mmcgrath (MikeMcGrath)
 * nirik (KevinFenzi)
 * quiad (KarstenWade)
 * stahnma (MichaelStahnke)

=== Summary ===

 * EPEL Meeting – broken deps – nirik:

  * Jeff_S will be responsible for this topic; nirik will try to help

  * we need to poke people; they likely don't even know that there are
broken dep

  * running a repoclosure before push would be ideal, but not easy; we
should get that with bodhi sooner or later, so we don't look deeper into
this issue

 * spam o magic script (broken deps)  – mmcgrath

  * mmcgrath is looking at it; he committed to have it ready by the next
meeting

 * Move epel dirs on servers down below stable – knurd

  * last week decided, this week reverted.

 * Branch for EPEL if Fedora maintainer does not react – knurd, _blah_

  *
https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-July/msg00016.html
got approved, knurd added it to the wiki. We likely need to adjust a
small detail; see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-July/msg00332.html

 * signers group – dgilmore

  * dgilmore and mmcgrath can push and sign; that is considered enough
for now

 * finish the wiki docs and remove the warnings by end of may – quaid

  * round about ready; quaid has some changes pending, but nothing major

  * warning on the top EPEL-page in the wiki will get removed shortly
before announcement

 * EPEL announcement -- quaid

  * early announce draft to epel-devel-l  soon; shortly after that early
announce to f-maintainers ; followed by first draft of real announcement
to e-d-l ; finally announce on Jul 19

 * RHX and EPEL – quaid

  * seems some people still don't really know that RHX actually is

  * general agreement to "we should try to work it so that Free and open
source software in RHX is available in EPEL with community support";
quaid> "I doubt we'll have any problem with that idea . I think the RHX
folks feel the same; they have no need to duplicate what we do for no
reason, and lose the gain of the community . It's going to be a few
weeks until we can get a formal set of guidelines between the two groups
. Mainly it's about the messaging, making sure that it's easy to know
the difference between a package from EPEL and one from RHX . I made the
point that ISVs can control that best if the ... actually own the
package in Fedora :) "

=== Full Log ===

https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-July/msg00019.html

== Stats ==

=== General ===

Number of EPEL Contributors 107

We welcome 6 new contributors: gemi_AT_bluewin.ch,
ghenry_AT_suretecsystems.com, mdehaan_AT_redhat.com, mszpak_AT_wp.pl,
rich_AT_phekda.gotadsl.co.uk, rpm_AT_greysector.net

=== EPEL 5 ===

Number of source packages: 439

Number of binary packages:  799

There are 34 new Packages:
 * alsamixergui | GUI mixer for ALSA sound devices
 * artwiz-aleczapka-fonts | Set of (improved) artwiz fonts
 * blacs | Basic Linear Algebra Communication Subprograms
 * c-ares | A library that performs asynchronous DNS operations
 * cobbler | Boot server configurator
 * cronolog | Web log rotation program for Apache
 * dar | Software for making/restoring incremental CD/DVD backups
 * dx | Open source version of IBM's Visualization Data Explorer
 * eclipse-subclipse | Subversion Eclipse plugin
 * evolution-bogofilter | A plugin for bogofilter support in evolution
 * ftplib | Library of FTP routines
 * gxemul | Instruction-level machine emulator
 * itk | Object oriented extensions to Tk
 * jam | Program construction tool, similar to make
 * JSDoc | Produces javadoc-style documentation from JavaScript sourcefiles
 * koan | Network provisioning tool for Xen and Bare Metal Machines
 * lapack | The LAPACK libraries for numerical linear algebra.
 * libcgi | CGI easy as C
 * perl-Lingua-EN-Inflect | Convert singular to plural, select "a" or "an"
 * perl-Lingua-EN-Inflect-Number | Force number of words to singular or
plural
 * perl-version | Perl extension for Version Objects
 * php-pear-Phlickr | Phlickr is a PHP5 based api kit used with the
Flickr API
 * php-spyc | A simple php yaml class
 * planet | Flexible RDF/RSS/Atom feed aggregator
 * python-isprelink | Python module to determine if a file has been
prelinked
 * R | A language for data analysis and graphics
 * R-RScaLAPACK | An interface to perform parallel computation on linear
algebra problems using ScaLAPACK
 * scalapack | A subset of LAPACK routines redesigned for heterogenous
computing
 * uread | Utilities for unformatted fortran files

=== EPEL 4 ===

Number of source packages: 271

Number of binary packages:  560

There are 19 new Packages:
[...]