RFC: EPEL branching if Fedora maintainer does not react

rob myers rob.myers at gtri.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 16 21:08:42 UTC 2007

> rob myers wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 02:14 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> rob myers wrote:
> >>   If the Fedora
> >> Looks better but I would suggest recommending co-maintainership rather
> >> than a complete hand off. If a Fedora package maintainer has shown no
> >> interest when asked and a new maintainer has taken over and been working
> >> on EPEL which has a different release strategy and policies then it is
> >> better than the existing maintainer in EPEL work together with the
> >> Fedora maintainer and help in any transition process or continue as a team.
> >
> > how about if we reword the last bit to be "... should strongly consider
> > co-maintainership, but does not have to."
>
> Yes, that would work.

here is a complete version, with the co-maintainership changes rahul
suggested.  comments?

If an EPEL maintainer wants to get a Fedora package into EPEL,
first check the ContributorStatus document, located in the wiki at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/ContributorStatus .

If the Fedora maintainer of the package has indicated a desire not to
participate in EPEL then the EPEL maintainer can request the branch
directly via the standard procedures (e.g. via bugzilla currently).  The
EPEL maintainer should CC the Fedora maintainer on the branch request,
so the Fedora maintainer knows that the package is maintained in EPEL as
well.

If it is unclear if the Fedora maintainer of the package participates in
EPEL then the EPEL maintainer should mail the Fedora maintainer and ask
about their plans for EPEL in general and the package at hand.  If there
is no answer within seven days the EPEL maintainer is free to request
the EPEL branch (CC the Fedora maintainer here as well).

If the Fedora maintainer later decides to participate in EPEL, and no
more than one month has passed, then the EPEL maintainer of the package
must hand primary per release maintainership back to the Fedora
maintainer (and become comaintainer, if interested). If the Fedora
maintainer later decides to participate in EPEL, and more than one month
has passed, the EPEL maintainer of the package should strongly consider
co-maintainership, but does not have to.

rob.