Re: EPEL, RHEL-5Server and RHEL-5Client...

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
On 17.07.2007 13:13, Joel Andres Granados wrote:
Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
On 17.07.2007 12:13, Joel Andres Granados wrote:
For the situations at hand:
Problem1 -- python-imaging was EPEL: We made a error, but we are still
in the testing/buildup phase, so we can still remove it from the repo
Is this true for EPEL/el4 and EPEL/el5? I ask because I have them both in the CVS and assumed that EPEL/el4 was an already *stable* release.

/me can't follow, sorry.

EPEL in general and the Repos EPEL4 and EPEL5 are still not officially
started; that's planed for next weeks Thursday.

I thought EPEL4 was official,  I see that they are both no out yet :)

and say loudly "apologize" and "we are sorry"(¹). Not ideal, but problem
solved.
Problem2 -- python-imaging had a higher EVR then the EL5Client package:
Ignore those users that got the newer python-imaging from EPEL (see
Problem 1: "EPEL is still in testing" and "apologize").
IMO this is also very precarious "to ignore the user".

And the users isn't helped if we fix one error by making another
(bigger) one.

Just to be clear. the process to install (if you have already installed 1.1.6) is to remove
the current package, then install from repos?

if the answer is yes. And having in mind that this situation might present itself more than once in the future. Will this be the policy to handle all of these situations? Will the message to the user be "to make sure you updates are done correctly
and no unexpected behaviors pop up with corner cases, uninstall EPEL
package and install it from new/current repo"?
Its just something to think about, I know its not a solution !!
I'll be on the look out for what is decided on tomorrows meeting.

(¹) -- we likely should put something (test-scripts?) in place to make
sure something similar does not happen again
IMO, This is VERY necessary.

Any volunteers?

The scripts is important, the action taken when the scripts finds something is more important.

Regards.

--
Joel Andres Granados