rename fedora-usermgmt?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Mar 5 14:40:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 08:36:01AM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 12:32:08PM +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >>FWIW I hate it, too, anyone here around with other feelings for that?
> >>Maybe we're all "that guy" ;)
> >
> >Yes, I am *also* that guy.
> >
> >Can't we just have a Fedora project registry of assigned numbers and stick
> >to it?
>
> Fact is:  fedora-usermgmt solves a (nitch) problem, regardless of
> whether folks agree with it's implementation.
>
> Imo, maintainers of epel packages, should be free to use it, if they
> wish.  It would be inappropriate, imo, to implement a blanket "no
> fedora-usermngt" policy in epel, unless, of course, no maintainer for it
> can be found for epel.

Please no, it requires the admin's attention to setup some random
space in his user uid/gid space, and if he misses it (who really cares
about yet another package pulled in by yum install foo) or forgets
this setup he runs into possible uid/gid conflcits between packages
and users. We don't want that for Fedora and even less for RHEL.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net