Re: package stability

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Axel Thimm (Axel Thimm ATrpms net) said:
On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 10:26:01AM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
Do we want to keep API/ABI stable over the corresponding RHEL release?
It would be interesting to have a document that described RH's specs
in this area. E.g. which API/ABI are more important that others. RHEL
has certainly kept some parts more flexible than others, for example
wireless API/ABI on almost each kernel update.

It depends on the release, but generally, symbols used by external
modules must be kept fixed. However, various subsystems (libata, wireless)
may change.

With the exception of very specific things (the wireless-tools things
mentioned, which caused its own headaches), the userspace library ABI
is considered pretty much sacrosanct.

Bill
Unlike in 'official' RHEL, I'd think the emphasis here is just on best effort for stability. As long as we're cautious I think it will be fine.

   -Mike