Re: RFC: Package maintenance and update policy for EPEL -- take 1

On 3/14/07, Axel Thimm <Axel Thimm atrpms net> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 06:45:01AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> kernel-modules further are not allowed, as they can disturb the base
> kernel easily.

Are we sure we really want that? The same argument applies to any
daemon as well, and kernel modules are considered an added value by
most RHEL consumers (but not RHEL kernel developers ;)

If I have to start loading kernel modules into my RHEL system to do
what I need, I probably need Fedora.  Otherwise I have just overpaid
for a box that is no longer supported and I am trying to use in ways
likely not all that entperprise focused.  I'm sure there are
exceptions, like wireless drivers and maybe advanced nic or storage
controllers, but those are usually in RHEL after an update or two.

I know if I was an RH developer, I wouldn't want kernel modules, and
as a RHEL customers I think it sounds risky at best.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net