Dropping the repotag

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sun Mar 18 17:34:56 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Axel Thimm schrieb:

>>> Please bring that up to the Fedora Packaging committee on
>>> fedora-packaging at redhat.com, those guys are the ones that are
>>> responsible for the Packaging Standard used in both EPEL and Fedora.
>>>
>>> The offer still stands: I can forward this discussion/your mail there if
>>> you want. But the only position in this stuff I'll take is "Let the
>>> Packaging Committee" decide.
>>>
>> Does the rest of epel agree on this? Or will this be a ping pong of
>> responsibilities?
>>

> That's why I already asked higher Groups to clarify.
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2007-March/msg00072.html

Thats the tricky part.  Unfortunately our current governing model is
still in extreme infancy.  Partly because I think everyone has a
different idea of who has what authority and partially because we (all
of Fedora) have the ability to keep going forward and moving without
these bodies.  Actual enforcement powers is difficult and, AFAIK, all of
our committees have very foggy powers.

Governance is extremely difficult, especially in an environment like
Fedora where you can't make anyone do anything.  It's also not a very
attractive thing to work on.  In the past stuff like this has been:

Hey, we should have a committee to do this this and this.

Response from less than .1% of the community:  Buhh, ok, whatever.

or
Response from less than .1%% of the community: It should do this this
and this, NO!  It should be this way!  No, this way!

Then it just kind of gets forgotten about or we end up with a SIG or
group and what they actually do and when is very fuzzy.   Like the
packaging group, do they provide guidelines for our flagship product
(the Operating System?)  Or for all packages in Fedora.  How about the
packages we create just for Fedora Infrastructure?  Who says?

Long story short: I'd love the packaging committee to decide this, they
know more about the consequences then I do.  At the same time though we
need to be prepared for them to say "This isn't our decision, your on
your own."

/2 cents

    -Mike