Re: My thoughts on repotag

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
The second problem is determining where a package came from. This seems
like a legitimate problem, but I'm not convinced that using a repotag is
the best solution. To me, this seems like a better use for the Vendor
tag. Now, if we use the Vendor tag, the problem becomes that users don't
see the Vendor tag when they query the package to file a bug.

The %{_query_all_fmt} tag controls the output that users see when they
query installed package(s). Perhaps EPEL users (with epel-release
package installed) get a%{_query_all_fmt} redefined to
%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{vendor} (or something like that). Then,
the origination repository is clear on an rpm query, so we solve this
problem, without overloading Release.

I suspect that that would break a lot of scripts that make assumptions about the %{_query_all_fmt} value; in fact I suspect the default format would have been changed to %{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n a long time ago if it wasn't for this concern.

Paul.