branching core packages?

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 22:18:53 UTC 2007

Steven Pritchard wrote:
> It looks like perl-Archive-Tar isn't available in RHEL4, and
> unfortunately I need it for perl-Module-Build.
>
> What's the best way to get it available in EPEL?  Submit it for a
> normal review?  Wait until Core and Extras are merged in CVS so I can
> just request a branch?
>
> Steve

perl-Archive-Tar in EL-4 should match the EL-5 version.  The old version
(from FC-3) is insufficient for several typical modern uses.

For example, spamassassin-3.1.8 ships in RHEL-4.5, but cannot provide
perl-Archive-Tar in RHEL-4 so users cannot use sa-update.  RHEL4 does
not officially support the use of sa-update, but it seems to work if
users add the requisite perl modules.  It is fine if they obtain this
from EPEL-4.

Copy perl-Archive-Tar from EL-5 to EPEL-4.  Make sure rpmvercmp would
upgrade properly from EPEL-4 to EL-5's version.  It'll work out.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com