repotags proposal

Michael Stahnke mastahnke at gmail.com
Mon May 21 01:23:47 UTC 2007

On 5/20/07, Jeff Sheltren <sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu> wrote:
> On May 20, 2007, at 9:49 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >
> > The EPEL Steering Committee gives this agreement only as long as
> > following points are meet by the technical solution:
> >
> >  * it must remain possible to simply copy spec files between Fedora
> > and
> > EPEL branches without modifications
> >
> >  * no hacks to the buildsys or modifications to the rpms after their
> > initial creation
> >
> >  * the repotag must be used my all packages
> >
> >  * no abuse of the disttag
> >

> Hi Thorsten, thanks for the proposal.  I think that using some macro,
> such as %{?repotag}, or even just %{?repo} would be a good start.  It
> is very easy to implement, and the same specs could still be used in
> Fedora without any problems (AFAICS).  Adding it to the dist tag does
> not make sense to me.  However, I am curious to know why you are
> against some sort of patch to the build system?  It seems that could
> also be a nice possible solution.
>
> Aside from my question about having the build system handle the
> repotag on its own, I am mostly
> +1 for your proposal.
Allow me to add a +1 for discussion of this.  Working in an enterprise
where Admins sometimes pull packages from a variety of sources, having
a repo-tag helps me.  I can figure where someone pulled a package.
Our internally built packages also have a repotag (abuse of %dist tag
actually) but it can be seen easily.  I understand how to query rpms
for  a repo, sadly, many admins/users I work with don't.  For the good
of the end-user in EL-land, I support a repo tag.  The implementation,
I hope, could be painless .

If EPEL started using repotags, maybe it would drive yum/rpm
developers to evaluate its value again and get the proper coding into
the packaging products.  This isn't about right or wrong, it's about
moving in a positive direction for the consumers of EL and ultimately
the new EPEL platform.

stahnma