Questions about EPEL Distribution

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Nov 1 20:26:26 UTC 2007

On 31.10.2007 16:14, Perry N. Myers wrote:
> I am working on a project that requires EPEL RPMs as part of the installation
> process.

Sounds interesting.

/me wonders what this exatly is about, but I suppose you'll tell us
sooner or later.

>  We also need to support environments where the target machines are
> disconnected from the Internet.  My question is, how would you (the EPEL
> maintainers) prefer to have these packages distributed?  Here are the options as
> I see them:
>
> 1. Include the needed EPEL RPMS on our distribution media.
> 2. Include the epel-release RPM only and provide instructions for setting up a
> local EPEL mirror and modifying the epel.repo file to point to that local mirror.

Hmmm, why not simply do both? E.g. the epel-packages as part of your
distribution media including the repo files for epel. Then users get
(security) updates when EPEL releases them. And those that want the
packages locally can set up a local epel mirror.

> We will certainly give credit to the EPEL project [...]

thx

Cu
knurd