EPEL-5 and RHEL 5.1 packages

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Nov 9 06:18:45 UTC 2007

On 08.11.2007 23:27, Kyle Gonzales wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007 4:39 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>>
>> On 08.11.2007 22:22, Jesse Keating wrote:

>>> Correct.  To solve the problem at the start of this thread, perhaps it
>>> would make sense to pre-populate the buildsystem with the next point
>>> release bits at the same time they're being staged for release, or
>>> close to it, so that EPEL can on the same day of a point release claim
>>> that they support that release.  Just takes more cooperation between
>>> EPEL leaders and Red Hat.
>> And excludes all those contributers and users that don't have a RHEL
>> license, as the resulting bits might lead to broken deps when one runs
>> "yum update" on a CentOS machine right now (¹) with EPEL which depends
>> on a lib that is shipped in the newly released RHEL update. Seems that's
>> the case in the mail that started this thread.
>> That would be totally unacceptable IMHO.
> So... users that DO have a RHEL license will have to wait for CentOS
> devels to do their thing before they can get new packages? [...]

We don't have to; we can easily run a "cp -al 5 5.0" on the servers, put
5.1 on the builders and move on. Then users of CentOS or other clones as
well as those RHEL-users that manually stick to 5.0 for a few days or
week can use that repo. Some week later we can just delete the 5.0
directory.

CU
knur