mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Tue Nov 20 19:53:14 UTC 2007

All,
    Mock 0.8.9 is sitting in the upstream git repository. I have tested
this version on RHEL5, and it appears to work satisfactorily there. I
have fixed the last remaining issue that I have seen on RHEL.

    There are a few config file changes, as well as a couple differences
in command line behaviour from previous releases, detailed in my release
announcement to fedora-buildsys-list [1].

    What are people's thoughts on upgrading the EPEL5 version of mock to
0.8.9? I would like to upgrade EPEL5 mock to 0.8.9.

Here are the benefits:

Bugfixes:
 -- There are several outstanding bugs in the existing version of mock
on RHEL, including one bug that can result in removal of /dev/ on the
host in some circumstances. These are all fixed in 0.8.x.

Speed:
 -- root cache (formerly called autocache) are much smaller
 -- yum cache means that you can speed up yum operations without setting
up local mirror or squid
 -- ccache integration -- faster builds

All of the caching improvements result in a pretty significant
build-time reduction, especially for people who use mock on a regular
basis.

Logging:
 -- now uses native pythong logging module, for more configurable
logging options.

Administration:
 -- cleanup-after set by default, keeps old mock chroots from
accumulating.

New commands:
 -- mock install and mock installdeps allow easier use of chroot for
testing situations.

Easier maintenance:
 -- mock-helper is now gone, and everything happens in mock.py, making
coding of new extensions much easier. There is a setuid-wrapper which
elevates permissions before calling mock.py.

And the drawbacks:

-- small change in commandline behaviour: 'rebuild' command used to be
implied/option, is now required.

-- method for adding .rpmmacros in the config file has changed over the
old version.

--
Michael

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-buildsys-list/2007-October/msg00029.html