Re: yum-cron and CentOS

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
On 06.09.2007 15:08, Mike McGrath wrote:
Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
z00dax in #centos-devel made me aware of a issue: EPEL5-testing contains
a yum-cron package since a few days which replaces the package with the
same name from CentOS-base.

As we try to not conflict with CentOS-base I'd say we go the same route
as we did for yum in EPEL4 -- ship the CentOS package with a lower EVR;
then users that want to use the package on RHEL5 can use it while we
don't disturb CenOS.

Comments?
Its a package in CentOS-base but not RHEL?

Yes:

[root dhcp-200 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)
[root dhcp-200 ~]# yum list yum* | grep cron
[root dhcp-200 ~]#

http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/centos/5.0/os/x86_64/CentOS/yum-cron-0.1-1.el5.centos.noarch.rpm

One of course could argue "If CentOS wants to be 100% compatible to RHEL
then they should not add something to their Base OS that's not strictly
needed" -- but I suppose some people would send out the Nijas after
someone that dares to say that.

meh, I don't think we need to be in the business of telling CentOS what to do :)

+1 to lower EVR I guess unless there's a compelling reason not to that I'm not thinking of. I wonder if we could get a list of all packages CentOS has added. If they've added them, odds are they're popular enough that we'll likely add them as well.

   -Mike