OCaml 3.10.2

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Aug 26 11:51:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:41:24PM -0500, Michael Stahnke wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> > That's another possibility.  But I've never seen a working parallel
> > OCaml compiler install.  It's definitely not as easy as it is with gcc
> > to do parallel / compat installs ...  A question for upstream, I
> > think.
[...]

So I asked upstream and the situation is quite complicated.  Basically
there are two possible ways to do this:

(1) We could have a separate subdirectory, like this:

  /usr/bin/* for the default compiler
  /usr/libexec/ocaml-3.10.2/* for the non-default compiler

Users would need to set the $PATH before compiling.  This solution
looks like it will suck a lot.

(2) We could rename the compiler binaries, like:

  /usr/bin/ocamlc
  /usr/bin/ocamlopt
        (etc. -- there are about 20 binaries that need renaming)
  /usr/bin/ocamlc-3.10.2
  /usr/bin/ocamlopt-3.10.2
        (etc.)

Users would need to modify their build scripts to pick the correct
compiler.  This solution also sucks, and is even more error-prone
than (1).

> I know we have at least 1 app ( maybe more) that would work a lot
> better with the newer version, (like it would build).  I'll vote for
> the update.

Out of interest, what is the app?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v