Broken dependencies in EPEL - 2008-12-07

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 21:33:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:25:11 -0600 (CST), Mike wrote:
>
> > > It had started with a working setup (EL4 and EL5 in a single report):
> > > https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2008-April/msg00016.html
> > >
> > > Then, sometime later, the RHEL repos have been renamed and moved around
> > > again and again (with games like switching repo ids from upper-case to
> > > lower-case and vice versa), and finally the shell script has been damaged
> > > as an added bonus.
> > >

> > Actually that only seemed to have worked.  IIRC, we were missing some
> > repos so there are false positives there.
>
> Minor problem. Step 1) Make the RHEL repos available. Step 2) Give out
> valid (albeit internal) URLs to a person who creates a repoclosure
> config script. I've provided the original scripts (list archives -> Feb)
> plus even several updates.
>
> Step 1 has been troublesome according to various messages related
> to making the same repos available to the buildsys.
>
> Step 2 has never happened. Only with your most recent reply. That is
> progress (provided that the repo urls are correct). Only the knowledge of
> the full list of repoids makes it possible that someone other than you can
> supply a script which contains defaults.

Sorry if I gave you the impression that a reply from you was required, it
was not.

> > I've taken a calculated decision not to work on it.  It sort of
> > works, it emails people, etc.
>
> If you don't care about it, disable it. It mails out crap.
> If EPEL has no interest in a broken deps report, discuss that in a
> meeting and get rid of it. If there's interest in it, make it possible
> that an arbitrary volunteer can take care of it.

Whether the script runs or not is not my call.  Thats a steering decision.
They've requested it to run, I've done my best to see to it that it
happens but there's only so much time in the day.

> > > Rather than spending hours on irc learning about any infrastructure secrets
> > > and getting confirmation that some stuff is being locked down,
> > > how about posting a verified (!) list of RHEL/EPEL repository URLs?
> >
> > And thus the problem, you've become a complainer.
>
> Sure, to shut down one source of false positives. Enough packagers
> don't believe broken deps reports. It doesn't help if there is additional
> FUD and an installation that mails out crap.

That's a complaint, which is what complainers do.  I don't see any
suggestions there that would benefit the epel community or fix the script.

> Did you want to continue with these broken deps wreckage till Xmas?

Still not a suggestion on how to actually fix it nor an offer to help.

> > Think real hard about
> > what you're trying to accomplish.  Then ask yourself how the above
> > attitude will actually accomplish that.  You've asked for the list (not
> > that it will be helpful to you) so I've included it.
>
> It is beyond my comprehension what you try to accomplish with such an
> arrogant ending of your mail. You flame me in the "put up or shut up" line
> of thinking and at the same time admit that the repo urls are useless to me.

I'll spell it out more so you can comprehend.  I was asking you to help.
I was asking you to stop by, say "Hey guys, I understand the problems with
the epel dep check script are still failing and I'd like to see how I can
help".  Does that make more sense?  But instead of following proper
channels, submitting tickets so they didn't get forgotten about you
complained.

	-Mike