xerces-c soname bump

On Monday 11 February 2008, buildsys fedoraproject org wrote:
> Packages built and released for Fedora EPEL testing/5: 7
[...]
>     xerces-c-2.8.0-1.el5
>
> Packages built and released for Fedora EPEL testing/4: 5
[...]
>     xerces-c-2.8.0-1.el4

This is a soname bump from libxerces-c.so.27 to libxerces-c.so.28, and looks
like it would break at least enigma, gdal, ovaldi, perl-XML-Xerces and
xalan-c, not to mention local packages and other local builds.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#head-b2927ee315835820eecc0883d05df0e1658ac388
(soname bump is an ABI change)

I haven't seen even a "HEADS UP" mail about this.  Without a very good reason,
this is far from acceptable in EPEL.

BTW, looks like this update is on its way to Fedora too, it'll break even more
packages there.  And not even a heads up mail seen on fedora-devel either.

Please explain?