dep checker script

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Feb 16 11:43:45 UTC 2008

On 15.02.2008 20:39, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:37:47 +0100
> fedora at leemhuis.info (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
>> On 30.01.2008 23:07, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:23:48 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> and how often to run a script like that,
>> How long does it take to run? I'd say if it doesn't consume to many
>> resources it'd say at least two, better three times a week. Once a
>> week is the minimum I'd say.
> Looks like it takes about 5min here.
> I would say once a week is enough... unless the broken deps are in
> stable, then instead of running it more, I think we just go and try and
> fix them or contact the maintainer via email/irc/phone to fix them.

If it really takes only a few minutes to run I'd much prefer to run it
right after every push -- that way packagers normally will get a
feedback closely after they realized a change.

If we do it only once a week the worst case might be around 11 days (7
days between runs + 4 days from needsign to repo) between doing a change
on foo and getting a mail that "foo broke the world". That's to long IMHO.

>>> whether or not to include
>>> "testing"
>> For EPEL we afaics need to run it one without testing and once with.
>> Only then we notice if a dep is broken in stable and only then people
>> will tell the signers to push a new build to stable quickly to fix the
>> issue properly.
> Sure, but hopefully the stable run is empty usually.

And if not we quickly should do something. Even in testing there are to
many broken deps. :-/

CU
knurd