permission to use spec files in other projects (was: Re: Updates from knurd)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jan 15 18:46:14 UTC 2008

On 15.01.2008 19:23, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 15.01.2008 19:01, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>>> /topic EPEL SIG Meeting | permission to use spec files in other projects
>> Does anybody still care? Seems the Board either do not understand what
>> we/I'm up to or they ignore it.
> No one but you sees a problem.  It's covered by the CLA.

Please explain to me: What meaning has the CLA (a contract between a
Fedora contributer and Fedora/Red Hat) to someone else that receives
software from Fedora?

I'm not familiar with US law, but in Germany a contract between A and B
has no meaning to C.

> if you want to be
> more explicit then you are free to put a license header in each of your
> specs.

My packages are not relevant here. It's about cooperation as a whole. If
foo(¹) wants to use a spec file from Fedora as base for a package in his
repo then he needs to be sure that it is a legal thing to do.

Cu
knurd

(¹) foo could be Dag, Livna, RPM Fusion or my neighbor