RHEL firefox 1.5 -> 3.0

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 17:28:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 8:57 PM,  <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is anyone else surprised about this move?  It appears to have broken IDL
>>> on 5.2.
>>>

>> Not really. Red Hat (CentOS's upstream) announced early on in the 5.x
>> series that they would move to firefox 3.0 when it was ready. The Red
>> Hat 5.2 beta had firefox-3.0 in it, and it had been discussed on this
>> list before.
>
> Well, not so much surprised by the appearance as surprised by the decision
> to make a change that was likely to cause incompatibilities with software
> built against 1.5.  I moved to EL versions to try to avoid such things...

I think this was the reason for the Red Hat 5.x.y releases. There were
paying customers who wanted a new desktop and others who wanted an old
one. Red Hat 5.1.x will be locked with firefox-1.5 etc, but the
various users that want 3.0 with 5 will get it with 5.2,5.3 series.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux