5.1 -> 5.2 move

Michael Stahnke mastahnke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 02:56:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
>> Bill Nottingham wrote:

>>> gtkhtml3 was rebased in 5.2, changing ABI. We can ship (in EPEL)
>>> a gtkhtml38 package, but it will conflict at the file level with
>>> gtkhtml3 from 5.1 and earlier.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>
>> I suppose there was a very good reason for the base change, but I thought
>> things like this are one of the issues using RHEL was suppose to avoid.
>>

> The problem is that there are 2 customer demands that RH is trying to meet:
> 1) Newer software for the desktop so that OpenOffice/FireFox are able
> to use newer tools
> 2) Older software for the desktop so that OpenOffice/Firefox stick to
> the same data forever.
>
> The way RH 'solves' this is by having minor branches.. so people who
> want to avoid the problem can stick with the 5.1.x tree. This is where
> EPEL, CentOS, SciLin, DAG etc. are going to run into problems. To meet
> a majority of customers we need to have several trees that we compile
> and test from.
>
> 4.5.x?
> 4.6.x
> 4.7.x
> 5.1.x
> 5.2.x
> 5.3.x
Sanity's mom called, she said he was missing.

Wow.

That's painful on so many levels.  Why not just create a separate
Desktop vs Server platform and be done?  Keep ABI in some tree but not
the next but maybe this one, but when I upgrade some apps like it and
some don't.  You've successfully confused even the longest of RHEL
users.

If they want modern Firefox/OOo, use Fedora.  Isn't that the point?  I
need ABIs that don't break when I type yum update.  That's the bottom
line for an enterprise.

stahnma