5.1 -> 5.2 move

Thu Jun 5 15:59:26 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 12:20:34AM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:

>>> gtkhtml3 was rebased in 5.2, changing ABI. We can ship (in EPEL)
>>> a gtkhtml38 package, but it will conflict at the file level with
>>> gtkhtml3 from 5.1 and earlier.
>> Would that be an issue? And I think that it should be in RHEL 5.2, not
>> in EPEL? But I am not a customer, so...
>
> Ok, I am dumb. Still, why didn't RHEL people add the gtkhtml38 package in
> RHEL 5.2? This is quite strange, isn't RHEL supposed to keep ABI
> compatibility?

They didn't do it because it is hard :(

I am looking at what we can do for CentOS-5.2 right now.

This is VERY bad.  As you guys in EPEL have already no doubt figured
out, there either needs to be a new libgtkhtml-3.8.so.15 or everything
that was compiled against gtkhtml3 will need to be recompiled.  Red Hat
recompiled all the things for EL5.2 already ... but this is really
unsatisfactory as there are hundreds of 3rd party apps that will need to
be recompiled.

The problem is (as Bill Nottingham already pointed out) that several
files are in a location that would conflict if a compatibility package
were produced. The bad areas are:

/usr/share/gtkhtml-3.8
/usr/share/locale/*/MESSAGES/

Those 2 shared areas are going to be hard to (if not impossible) make work.

Anyone have any GOOD ideas :D

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes