EPEL pulseaudio and esound/esd compat ...

Anyone here try the "pulseaudio-*" packages from EPEL on RHEL 5?
Anyone attempt to use the "pulseaudio-esound-compat"?

The "esdcompat" page included with "pulseaudio-esound-compat" says ...

  'drop-in replacement for esd, i.e. it can be used to
   make gnome-session(1) start up PulseAudio instead of esd.'

But when I remove "esound" (which conflicts with) and install
"pulseaudio-esound-compat", I clearly lose my ability to start GNOME
session.  I.e., I login, then the GNOME session closes within seconds.

The compat package only includes the "esdcompat" wrapper script, a
symlink "esd" to it (plus the man page).  The original "esound" package
includes libraries and other things.

E.g., (on a RHEL 5.2 system within 1 month of updates)

  $ yum provides esound
  esound.i386
  pulseaudio-esound-compat.i386

Which is required by ...

  $ rpm -q --whatrequires esound
  libgnomeui-2.16.0-5.el5

*BUT*

  $ rpm -q --whatrequires libesd.so.0
  libgnome-2.16.0-6.el5
  nautilus-2.16.2-7.el5
  gnome-session-2.16.0-6.el5
  ... (and many other GNOME components) ...

Which is solved only by ...

  $ yum provides libesd.so.0
  esound.i386

I assume this is likely my problem?  Or something else?

BTW, I just checked the RHEL 5.3 beta, and ...

  $ rpm -qR gnome-session | grep -i esd
  libesd.so.0

-- Bryan

P.S.  I have a working RHEL 5 LTSP client now, including remote storage
(LTSPfs) and other support.  Just hoping to get pulseaudio working too,
although I'm going to look further at just using remote esd/ALSA, if
possible.

--
Bryan J Smith - Senior Consultant - Red Hat GPS SE US
mailto:bjs redhat com      +1 (407) 489-7013 (Mobile)