Re: is it possible to add ant-1.7.x to epel?

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 05:57:46PM +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
> hi,
> currently ant-1.6.5-2jpp.2 included in rhel while ant-1.7.0 in fedora.
> since even 1.7.0 is almost 2 years old (1.6.5 is more then 3 years)
> there are many java packages which requires at least version 1.7. the
> same problem is not apply to junit since junit 4.x called junit4, but
> ant 1.7 not called ant17 like in case of automake and autoconf.
> so my question is there any way to somehow include ant 1.7.x in epel? is
> it possible to add a package ant17 to epel? or is it against the epel
> policies?

I cannot speak for the project as a whole, but if ant17 doesn't
conflicts with RHEL/EPEL packages, it seems to me that it could be
acceptable -- especially if you can show what a package using ant17
should use to build and select the corresponding ant and not the one
from RHEL.

It would be better to coordinate with the RHEL packager to prepare for
the obsoletes and such.

--
Pat