is it possible to add ant-1.7.x to epel?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Nov 10 21:21:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:14:36PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

>> I don't view it as an issue, as long as * the upgrade path is right,
>> that is the EPEL package is updated by the   corresponding  RHEL/EPEL
>> package in the next RHEL/EPEL release,   which implies some
>> coordination with RHEL/EPEL maintainers.
>
> Well, such coordination in the EPEL past afaics often didn't work that
> well (just like it didn't in the Extras days when Extras maintainers had
> to deal with maintainers from Fedora Core).

Agreed. I am still quite upset by the lack of coordination around
lesstif/openmotif. This could be a prerequisite for the inclusion of
those packages.

> Well, the 2 I mentioned were (obviously) extreme examples. But as I
> said: where draw the line/where stop? People likely have good reasons
> for hundred other packages that are basically new versions of software
> that is already included in RHEL. I fear that the whole things could get
> quite messy over time.

As long as the guidelines are followed, including the EPEL specific
ones, I can't see what would be wrong. Maybe there could be a guideline
to force people to ask on this list before they proceed.

--
Pat