epel is enabled but not being used

Marc Fromm Marc.Fromm at wwu.edu
Thu Oct 16 16:04:05 UTC 2008

I added the EPEL repository as instructed.
A yum repolist displays:
epel                 Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 -   enabled
rhel-i386-server-5   None                                      enabled
rhel-i386-server-vt- None                                      enabled
rhn-tools-rhel-i386- None                                      enabled

I performed "yum check-update libmcrypt" command but it appears that epel was not included in the search
rhel-i386-server-vt-5     100% |=========================| 1.4 kB    00:00
rhel-i386-server-5        100% |=========================| 1.4 kB    00:00
rhn-tools-rhel-i386-serve 100% |=========================| 1.2 kB    00:00
Skipping security plugin, no data

What do I need to do to have yum use the epel repository? Is there a way to tell yum to only search epel for a specific package?

thanks

Marc