qgis and qt libraries

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Apr 4 14:24:33 UTC 2009

Right now to build qgis and all of it's dependencies on CentOS (and I
presume RHEL) 5 one needs to update qt and qt4.

For qt3 The normal shared library does not version and I'm a hard core
gnome guy, so the few apps I have that use qt are not impacted by it. I
don't use anything else that uses qt4 so I don't know what that impacts.

However the multithread qt library does version.

Once qt and qt4 are updated, all the other build dependencies are in
Fedora and the FC9 src.rpm's work just fine (one needs minor modification).

For grass, I found a spec file in Fedora svn that only needed very minor
modification (one build option disabled) - and then qgis can build and
works fairly well (for me anyway).

Obviously qgis isn't currently a candidate for EPEL because of the qt
issue, but it seems like the kind of software that university and
professional labs would want to have, and thus would be a potential
benefit to the Red Hat / CentOS community to have it available.

I was hoping 5.3 would have the updated qt/qt4 but it didn't.

How does one go about lobbying Red Hat to get the minor updates to those
libraries in the RHEL 5.4 update?

I'm guessing RHEL 6 probably will have them (but I don't know) but it
probably would be of value for 5.4 to have them as well.

Especially since qt4 takes such a freaking long time to compile, it
would be a lot easier if the right version was already in RHEL.