I'm considering orphaning moin in EPEL

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 00:30:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at tummy.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:11:26 +0200
> Ville-Pekka Vainio <vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
>> So, what should we do with moin in EPEL? Is there anyone on the list
>> who's interested in taking over the package? If not, I see two
>> possibilities here. Either we orphan moin completely, or I ship an
>> update to 1.8 (as 1.9 might be a bit too new for a server oriented
>> distribution) with a notice saying that those who upgrade are on their
>> own with the data migration.
>
> Hopefully someone will be interested in taking it on.
>
> If not, please DO NOT just push an incompatible update.
> The only way you can do that is if there is a known security issue and
> you can't backport the fix to the old version.
>
> Hopefully someone can figure out how to let it auto update from the
> package...

Its pretty much impossible. We had to go through the directories with
a complicated sed/awk script and that got most of the issues. after
that it was a hand by hand fix. And then you have to know where the
person put those files which is installation dependant. There are
several security issues that have been found in moin over time so we
could do this as a security fix...

as far as I can tell webapps are terrible things to have with EPEL's
policy because they are so transient.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning