autoconf and epel-5

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Feb 24 22:41:37 UTC 2009

AW> The most authoritative thing I can find in the Wiki seems to frown
AW> on the practice of patching configure.ac in the first place:
AW> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/AutoConf

Toshio already mentioned that this isn't in any way policy; I just
want to reinforce the point that anyone can write anything anywhere in
the wiki that sounds like packaging policy.  Drafts are discussed by
the packaging committee and may, after ratification by FESCo, be
written into the packaging guidelines.  All of the packaging
guidelines exist in the Packaging namespace on the wiki.  Any other
page in the wiki may be the policy of some other SIG or committee, but
is not an official Fedora packaging guideline.

That isn't to say that such pages aren't useful.  They provide useful
points for discussion.  There's simply no filter on them to ensure
that they are balanced, reasonable or remotely sane.

AW> If this is not in fact the agreed policy, I'd expect the agreed
AW> policy to show up more prominently in a Wiki search for
AW> 'autoconf'. :)

There is no guideline relating to the use of autoconf.  The situation
is analogous to the absence of American federal legislation regulating
the acceptable colors used to paint bike sheds.

 - J<